I decided to walk outside instead of pummelling the tread-mill. After all the sun is shining and it’s a beautiful 22deg here in Melbourne. This prompted Irritation # 2.
One of my pet-hates which irritates the B-jaysus out of me is this.
Riding your bicycle whilst exercising your dog. If I am about to offend any of my followers I apologise in advance.
- You yell “Walkies” (let’s call him Bob) Bob rushes up, feet prancing, bottom swinging, smiling and tail wagging merrily at the word.
- Bob’s body language comes to an abrupt halt when he sees you get the bike out.
- Bob trots along beside you in the beginning whilst you sit on your comfy seat peddling merrily along.
- Bob didn’t know you had eaten 3 slices of cheese-cake the night before and wanted to lose a few pounds.
- Bob didn’t know that it was such a warm day outside.
- Bob didn’t know you weren’t bothered to stop to let him rest.
- Bob didn’t know that his exercise meant being dragged along for how many miles you wanted to do.
- Bob didn’t know that walkies meant he wasn’t allowed to stop, to smell the grass, have a rest or pee on grass or a tree.
- Bob didn’t know that he would get thirsty and tired.
- Bob kept running, looking up to say please stop as his legs were tired and sore.
- Bob did know that one of his pleasures in life is to please his master.
- Bob kept going thinking he was making YOU happy.
- Bob wishes he could speak.
You return with a very worn out and not very happy Bob.
You go and shower and have a cold drink.
Bob laps up water from his bowl whilst being spread eagled on the floor catching his breath.
Yes if Bob loves to run – PLEASE let him run in a park so he may stop for a rest when he needs to or pee on a tree, or ride your bike without him.
PLEASE everyone use common sense especially if the weather is hot – if Bob must be exercised this way (and for the life of me I don’t see why it’s necessary) – give him a rest every few minutes.. in other words ‘Get Off Your Bike’.
Happy Bob – how all Bobs should be.