Today Mr S and I were Christmas shopping and it was certainly bad hair day as far as the eye could see.
We had the older man in his black T-shirt and jeans with grey, tangled unwashed hair floating about.
We had the middle-aged man with protruding T-Shirt stomach and plaits down to his belt line.
We had the middle-aged women donning a buzz cut except for the pony-tail sprouting from the top of her head.
We had the let’s do a little bit of red and green colour because it’s Christmas.
What on earth? Did someone declare it National Bogun http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=bogun day in Melbourne and I wasn’t informed?
Or is it a case of “Look at me …look at me – I don’t care what your reaction is as long as you look at me”.
- Your hair may be unwashed – you couldn’t find 3 minutes to run some shampoo through it – or would that mean crap I have to shower to?
- Your hair is a tangled mess – surely somewhere you possess a hairbrush – a comb – how about your hands?
- Plaits only look good on Heidi – so leave them with her.
- Your hair is buzzed with a pony-tail – what’s the pony tail for – trying to make the buzz cut look feminine?
- Your hair has wads of blaring red and green splashed through it – did you perhaps walk under a ladder with paint buckets?
I mean seriously people how about a little bit of personal pride?
Yes you can wear your (sweats) trackies and food stained T-shirt when you’re camping by a river – but would it hurt you to don a little something nice and also see to your hair whilst out in public?
Yes I know a lot may say – each to their own – what harm is it doing.
Call me an old dragon but I beg to differ, there are certainly days when I get out of bed with bed hair – but I brush it, if need be I wash it. I wouldn’t dream of setting foot out the door otherwise.
Granted you can slop around all you like in the privacy of your own home, or up the bush, but would it hurt you terribly to look in the mirror before you leave the house just to make sure you look reasonably presentable?
Or is that I attitude these days of I simply don’t care what anyone else thinks?
Personal appearance and taking pride in yourself should be at least of a little concern should it not?
When we look good – we feel good – maybe they haven’t heard of that?
We have a better attitude, we walk with shoulders back.
These folk today, slouched (and please they weren’t poor underprivileged souls who couldn’t look after themselves) as the majority were laden with large shopping bags filled with Christmas goodies. Perhaps I shall receive comments that they don’t look after themselves so that they can afford presents for their kids and family…no no I don’t believe that is the case. **shakes head vehemently**
No this was purely a case of …..I just don’t care and Pffft yes my followers it irritated me.
Today as I opened my sleepy eyes & thought its best I get ready for my day, I lay for a second or two longer and thought…same old routine… Which led me to think a little more…does everyone stick to the same routine day in & day out? I realise those with young children would have a different regime than I but it wouldn’t it be nice to do something just a little different?
- Alarm by way of my mobile rings out its glorious wake up tune next to me (though some mornings I need a 21 gun salute to do the job)
- Me ‘Ugh’ time to get up (do I really have too? Just another 5 minutes my inner self tells me).
- Press off stupid, annoying, inconsiderate alarm (look at time & realise I don’t have just another 5 minutes).
- Feet onto floor, slippers on and grab dressing gown (yes the mornings are still cold over here).
- Open draw to retrieve knickers and bra (wouldn’t it be nice not to have to bother occasionally?)
- Stagger with eyes half open to the en-suite and turn the heater on (I don’t like the cold).
- Still staggering into the family room & put main heater for the house on (Damn didn’t put the timer on).
- Toilet time (ok so no need for details here).
- Open shower door, turn on taps, wait…wait..dressing gown off, singlet and knickers off, slippers kicked off (Not the time to look in the mirror).
- Weigh myself (Scary but necessary ..it’s a ritual I do every morning..tells me if I can or cannot eat for the day).
- Step into shower..damn it’s hair wash day again ( yep every 2nd day it’s the wash).
- Shower shampoo, conditioner (shave any necessary bits that have been left purposefully unattended due to the weather being cold and I’m pretty much covered up any-ways).
- Grab specific hair drying towel and wrap head in turban. Grab body towel – larger & commence the onerous process of drying every nook & cranny (believe me it is a process).
- Out of shower, bra and knickers (yes clean) are donned & back goes the dressing gown for warmth (I really do not like the cold).
- Stares at the face looking back at me in the mirror (not a pretty sight) .
- Cleans and flosses teeth (fresh mouth starts to wake me up).
- Grabs make-up bag to start the arduous task at hand of applying the face (seems to be getting a longer process with every year).
- Concealer, foundation, eye liner, mascara, lipstick (looking more human now..oh to be one of those women who have the flawless complexion without a scrap of anything applied).
- Walk into robe & decide what to wear for the day (Melbourne weather…need to be prepared for anything)
- Dress, put shoes on (thankfully only a 5 minutes decision whether it’s pants or dress, or skirt & top).
- Back into en-suite for the ‘doo’ to be created (well not so much created just done & look reasonable)
- Turban ripped off, grab hair-dryer and brush, squirt product & shimmy through hair (have to get some sort of body into it).
- Pick up bra & knickers from floor which sometimes have looped themselves over the handle of the vanity unit (not done on purpose but I’m still amazed I have done it)
- Toss said items into laundry basket (hmm & look at the insurmountable load that needs washing).
- Into kitchen grab a drink and take the 100mg of aspirin (if I remember..to ward off arthritis pain).
- Yell good-bye to daughter (that is if she is out of bed).
- Get into car for the drive to work (wishing that it was a Saturday or a Sunday…or that I didn’t have to work at all!).
- My day has begun (the routine is over till the next day that is).
Tomorrow I have a day off work.
BUT Maybe on Monday I shall put the radio on REAL LOUD and dance around the kitchen …just to change it up a bit… you know Gangnam style…maybe..
PIC COURTESY OF GOOGLE
It HAS to be the week-end when you feel you are out of your routine.. last Saturday Mr S and I were walking around the Supermarket and a Van Morrison song was playing. I started to dance down the isle (not gangnam but definately not walking) An older gentleman was walking towards us..and I thought “Nup I’m not going to stop”. He had the broadest grin on his face and said to Mr S as we passed. “You’ve got a good one there”.. to which Mr S laughed and said “I know & (hand motioning that I’d had a drink or 2)..which I hadn’t , we all laughed.. so yes BRING ON THE WEEKEND!!!!!!!!!!!!
My eldest daughters wedding 2 years ago. Thought I would pop in a pic or 2 along the way & quite frankly this is probably one of the best pics I have (the professional make-up and having my hair done makes the world of difference!). Apologies if this seems a little vain – but I thought connecting the writer with the face may be helpful and as I said this is the only photo I’m truly happy about : -)